Thursday 24 November 2011

Progress

Well, progress indeed....the new flooring is down in the bathroom and it looks amazing, both Gav and I are starting to feel better now, even getting one room "sort of" finished is good.  The only down side is that since finishing it we've had to use it as a storing room for furniture and bits and pieces from all the other rooms that we've had to empty for the builder to start work.  This is what it will look like when completely finished...
 ...I wish


I have a thing at the moment for re-purposing wardrobes, old wardrobes.  I see them as cupboards for more than just holding clothes....Ha! Narnia sprung to mind then.  An old armoire opens up a world of possibilities, they make fabulous storage space in all rooms, which is why when passing a charity shop in Shrewsbury the other day Gav and I lugged home a small art deco gentleman's wardrobe (they're the ones with drawers at the bottom).  I haven't posted a photo yet because i'd like to show it to you when it's in situ to get the full effect - but it does look stunning in the bathroom.  The drawers at the bottom are wider than the top and it has a faint art deco design across the front with gorgeous bakelite handles on the doors and drawers, i can't wait to fill it with towels and pretty things.

We're looking for a similar thing for our en-suite bathroom, which is slightly more contemporary, I found these images of pretty wardrobes and i have some good ideas.




I love this ladder... 
 
...i found a really nice one in Ludlow a few weeks ago, but Gav thought it was expensive, it was nicer than this one, a lot wider and not actually shelving.  I wanted it to hang towels over and i've not seen one like it since, so i may go back and get it, if it's still there!!!
And of course, i'll need this, where else am i going to put my champagne?
We also have this shelf unit in the shop, it's very nice and for sale, but not many people realise this because it's filled with stock, I may just have to steal it for bath stuff!!!
and.....i just love this...

So... we're well on our way to getting rooms sorted.  The builder has been here for two days and is doing a great job.  I think he finishes the current room the middle of next week, I hope that includes the plastering.  Then we can start the painting whilst he's working on the bedrooms.  We're still looking for rugs and haven't found anything we like yet, but there's a local auction coming up soon with a nice one on the list.

Gav and I are off to Bridlington/Hull on Monday morning just overnight to see family and swap christmas presents.
 
We should get there by early afternoon, just in time to have a breezy walk along the sea front and then the whole family is out for a meal in the evening.  I can't wait to see everyone.
Lizzie will be holidaying with our friends Cecilia and Peter and two big German Shepherd dogs, Bella and Tyson.  I took her to Gooseberry Hall this morning for a practice run and she loved it.  Slept for two hours when she got back.

"I would be most content if my child grows up to be the kind of person who thinks decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.”
- Anna Quindlen (adapted